It’s time to talk citrus essential oils. We hear all of the time how useful lavender, tea tree, and peppermint can be. But what about the citrus oils...how can we use them? Today we are digging into lemon and orange essential oils. Always making sure your essential oils are 100% pure, organic, and from trusted sources is most important, so once you have that sorted out…you can begin to replace toxic products, cleaning chemicals and home items with a more natural healthy strategy…so let’s dive in.
Lemon: Thanks to it's detoxifying, antiseptic-like properties and compounds that have been shown to boost the function of our immune systems, this cold pressed oil is versatile and has many uses; a must have!
Listed below is a quick guide to home, health and personal replacements using lemon and orange essential oils.
1. Extend the Life of Fresh Fruit - Both clean and extend the shelf life of your fresh fruit by filling a bowl with cool water and add 2-3 drops of lemon essential oil, then drop cleaned fruit into the water and stir making sure you coat all surfaces of the fruit.
2. Natural Disinfectant - Avoid alcohol and bleach based cleaners by adding 40 drops lemon oil and 20 drops tea tree to a 16 oz spray bottle, fill with pure water, and a splash of white vinegar for a great multipurpose cleaner from counter tops to moldy showers.
3. Polish for Wood and Silver - Soak a cloth in a lemon essential oil and water mix to spruce up tarnished silver jewelry or to clean your wood without the harsh chemicals that come in popular cleaners.
4. Erase Kid Residue - Kids often leave a trail with things like stickers, gum, crayons, etc. Erase their mess with a little lemon essential oil.
5. Laundry – drop 5-10 Drops on a Wool Dryer Balls and place in the dryer. A few drops of lemon or orange can be added in the washer to help rid mildew smell or funky workout gear.
6. Clean Hands* - lemon and orange work great to remove grease and grime from hard working hands. Just add a couple drops to your soap for grease free hands.
7. Public Restrooms* - Rub a drop of lemon essential oil on your hands after using a public restroom to disinfect and sterilize your hands.
Health Benefits and Uses:
1. Lemon Fresh Mouth - Mix a few drops of lemon essential oil with a some baking soda, and coconut oil, rub on your teeth for 2 minutes and rinse for both a natural teeth whitener and to prevent halitosis(bad breath).
2. Improve Mood - Diffusing lemon or orange essential oil can lift your mood and help fight depression.
3. Mental Clarity - Diffuse lemon or orange in your work or study space to improve mental accuracy and concentration. This one is great for both home and business offices and students of all ages from grade school to college!
4. Immune Support* - Mix lemon essential oil with coconut oil and rub on your neck for lymphatic drainage and cough support, as well as help getting over a cold quicker!
5. Varicose Veins* - Rub several drops of lemon essential oil on varicose veins to improve circulation and relieve pressure on the veins.
*Citrus oils can make your skin sensitive to sunlight and should NOT be applied to skin that will be exposed to direct sunlight or ultraviolet light within 72 hours.
We are always looking for ways we can reduce the use of harsh chemicals in our home or being absorbed into our bloodstream through our skin. If you have more great uses for your citrus essential oils please feel free to share with us either below in the comments or on our website ! Don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter for updates from Buckaroo Organics, including, more great ways to use essential oils, detailed information about our products , fun tips and tricks for clean, healthy living, and ways to save money!